Monday, April 26, 2010

Being a mom of two...

Tate is one! What a big year. I always thought that when people said things would be different for your second child than the first that they were crazy. I was sure I would be the same kind of mom for Tate as I was for Peyton. I was wrong. With Peyton I had time to do all sorts of things during nap time. I wrote in his baby book constantly about every little happening, had pictures developed as soon as they were taken, and read books to him and played with him constantly. I have to admit....as much as I have tried to be super mom...I am not! I have not written in Tate's baby book like I should have, I have not developed pictures since last June, and I have to admit, I have read far less books to Tate than Peyton. Does this make me a bad mom? I am not sure...however, I do know that both boys are very happy and very loved. On the flip side of the things I have not done for Tate, there is a list a lot longer of the things I have. I have breastfed him for a year! I have spent hours playing with both of my boys and teaching them how to interact nicely with eachother. I have tried to let go of my anal side and of the things that really don't matter and just enjoy the time we are spending in the moment. Maybe my guilt for not being the mom I wanted to be for Tate is making me feel I need to justify the mom I actually am....I am not totally sure. Looking back, I guess it is pretty amazing we made it through this year...


Tate's actual birthday was spent doing his regular routine at night. We had the assistant coaches and graduate assistants out to celebrate with us...they are all single and are really fun to have around. (Hopefully they will get wives at some point, so i will have a few girl friends to hang out with!) Being the mom of the year I am...(or not) I tried to make the delicious cupcakes I used to make with my highschool leadership group...however, in the hustle and rush to get them finished...I accidentally put too much salt in the filling. (YUCK). Thankfully, Ben tried one of them before I served them to the coaches. He picked up some Hy-Vee cupcakes and we were ready to roll. UNTIL Tate fell asleep at 6:00 and didn't wake up the rest of the night. I have to admit...I cried...no mom wants to ruin their child's first birthday.

We spent this weekend with mary and Joey and tried celebration II. This one went much better. Peyton helped open all of the presents and we found that Tate really doesn't like cake anyway... Tate got a new swing set from us and Grandma Mary, a bubble blower, clothes, and pajamas. The boys both have a Hawkeye jersey now, so maybe one day when I actually take the pictures off the camera, I will post them wearing them!

We are going to have one final birthday party this weekend at home with my side of the family. HOpefully, I will have a successful story to share...

In the end...being a mom of two is a wonderful, busy, crazy life...I wouldn't trade it for the world. :)

No comments: