Sunday, October 12, 2008

Drain backup = A BIG MESS!!!

Well, we have had a very interesting week this week. On Tuesday night, I had a dinner to attend with my student teacher. Ben and Peyton went over to a friend's house for dinner. When I was finished with my event, I went to our friend's house too. When we got home that night, we noticed a HORRIBLE smell coming from our basement. (When I say horrible, I mean it was the worst smell I have EVER smelled in my life). We have a sink in our basement on our unfinished side and it backed up, overflowed, and flooded our downstairs. There wasn't tons and tons of water, but just enough to make everything a complete and smelly mess. Luckily I am pretty orgainzed and had most of our things in plastic tubs...but there were some things that were in cardboard boxes or just laying on the floor and they were ruined. We called our State Farm agent and he actually came over to our house that night (at 9:00) and helped us to devise a plan for what to do. There is a company here in Emporia that specializes in cleaning messes like this and came over on Wednesday to clean everything. We stayed in a hotel on Tuesday night because it was too awful to stay here!

This weekend, we had one of Ben's basketball players help Ben take everything that was ruined to the dump and paint our finished side. The paint really helped to freshen everything up and things are looking much better. We will be getting new carpet soon...hopefully this week sometime, and then will put everything back together again. It has been a long and stressful week and both Ben and I are exhausted! I do not wish that problem upon anyone! And, for all of you garbage disposal people, the drain man said that we should not put anything down our garbage disposal unless it is the consistency of applesauce. Good to know! We are going to be EXTRA cautious about what we put down for the rest of our lives. :)

Other than our busy house work, it has been a great weekend. Peyton's friend Alexa invited us over to their house yesterday to come check out her new sandbox. He had a great time playing with her and only had to go to time out once for throwing sand! Boys will be boys! He was covered from head to toe with sand and loved every second of it. Then, we ate supper together and came home. Today we are doing a little cleaning and just resting. I do not have school tomorrow because we have parent teacher conferences this week on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. I am looking foward to spending most of the day with Peyton. I will have to go in for a little while to print off grade cards, etc.

Hope all is well with everyone!

No comments: